Taco Soup and Cornbread

I love making soups and chilis in the winter. And while it's almost spring (I hope!), the weather is still quite cold so they are still a staple in our diet.

I found this recipe for taco soup a while ago online (can't remember where!) but I'm finally getting around to sharing it!



Taco Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef/turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cans of pinto beans (but I used 1 can navy and 1 can kidney)
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1 package Zatarans black beans and rice
  • 1 packet of ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 4 cups water
1. Brown the meat in a large pot until it's thoroughly cooked. Saute the onion in the same pot, then drain.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. I heated it to a slow boil, then turned it down to a simmer and cooked it about an hour. You could also add all the ingredients to a crock pot and cook it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 1-2.

*I guess this makes more of a chili-like consistency than a soup, especially the next day for leftovers. You could add more water if you want, or even use some chicken broth for more flavor.


Corn Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 box Jiffy's corn bread mix
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix the egg and milk in a bowl. Add the creamed corn and stir until combined. Then add the corn bread mix to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. 

3. Put the mixture in a greased 8-inch pan and bake about 30 minutes, or until done.

*I actually was out of eggs when I made this and had just over 1/4 cup of milk left in my jug, so I just added that and it tasted just fine! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts